Monday, May 6, 2013

Passionate Goddess

Despite the title, this is a pretty mundane post...but something I wanted to share.  I just had my afternoon snack, and I am, well, perplexed is the best word I can come up with to describe myself right now.  I have long been a fan of the Chobani brand yogurt.  To me, it's the best Greek yogurt out there.  And I could have SWORN I had tried all of the flavors at least once.  And you know, you gravitate to the ones you really like (the blood orange is fantastic), but then sometimes you mix 'em up with ones that aren't your favorite, but you like them well enough & they're good for a change (peach or pineapple).

I thought for sure I'd tried the Passion Fruit before and just relegated it to the back of my preferences...so the last time I bought yogurt, I decided to get it again (I thought, but apparently it was for the first time) for a change of pace from the blueberry/orange/vanilla-rut I had sort of fallen into the last few weeks.  However, once I had ripped off the foil seal & started to stir the fruit up from the bottom, I realized that I had never, ever, ever had this yogurt before in my life.

The color of the Passion Fruit puree was one of the most unappealing things I have ever seen in my life.  (You guys may remember from the time I ate goat that yellow/Chartreuse food stuffs aren't really my thing.)  And it had big ole black (bug-looking) seeds in it as well.  I kept stirring, hoping the color would mellow out somewhat and it did, but the black seeds were still a little concerning to me.  I was half tempted to go back to the work 'fridge and see if I had stashed any other flavors in there...but I hate wasting what I'd already opened.  I cautiously sniffed at it and it smelled delightful...so I took a tentative taste...and it was really, really good.  I wasn't a huge fan of the seeds (they don't appear to have a taste of their own and their texture and the way they crunched were just weird) but I ate the whole container even though I'd sometimes come to a pulpy bit where the color was once again pretty evident.  And I just can't say whether I enjoyed my snack or not...thus the whole perplexed thing I mentioned.  Also, I know I have to buy at least one more container of the stuff because I ate this one before I realized I wanted to write about it, and now you're all probably wondering what it looked like.

This whole thing reminds me of something my sister used to do when we were kids.  Do you guys remember Green Goddess salad dressing?  It was made by Seven Seas and it was all my mother used to buy.  I had no problem eating it on salads...but my sister used to get it and stir it up into her mashed potatoes.  Below is a picture I found of WishBone's Green Goddess.  Like I said, we always bought Seven Seas, but the WishBone ad gives you an adequate idea of the color:

And folks...mashed potatoes should NOT look like they'd glow in the dark.  It was a constant source of meal-time disharmony (Mom was a big fan of whipping out the Hungry Jack potato flakes for a quick side dish to any meal).  Since the dressing has sour cream, chives and black pepper in its ingredients, it probably does go okay with potatoes palate-wise.  I just never could stomach the color.  It was just WRONG and half the time, my sister was doing it just to annoy me (she was 22 months my junior...PERFECT age for annoying). I finally had to admit it was my own hangup after my mother insisted we perform a little experiment...she made up some mashed potatoes and put some green food coloring in one batch of them.  Blind folded, I couldn't tell the difference between them, but when I could see...I swore the green ones tasted funny.
Now, I don't have a problem with green things that are supposed to be green (broccoli, bell peppers, granny smith apples).  It's the things that are green that shouldn't be.  Green Eggs and Ham used to make me gag if I actually started thinking about it...once when the daughter was in elementary school, they had a Dr. Seuss Day and served them eggs and ham that had been treated with green food coloring.  Child wouldn't touch it...which told me that this was probably just one more neurosis I'd passed on down to her.  Ah, well...I'll get back to you guys on a picture of the yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment