Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Dark and Light

 
 
 
“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”
William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice


I'm going to be honest with you guys...this month has sucked, and it has sucked hard.
I never have been a big January fan (well, except for that time that I got that really, great, fantastic wonderful kid and all...but even she came with an episiotomy).  You've got you're post-holiday blues.  You've got crappy, gray weather.  You don't have another holiday off work until Memorial Day.  In MAY.
This particular January has been especially bad.  A classmate of mine died.  TWO ex-co-workers (both really great guys) died.  I got the flu.  And it rained...and rained...and rained.  I have been really, really bummed.

Which is why I so very much enjoyed a picture that one of my daughter's friends tagged me in on Facebook...
Wait, let me back up a sec.
Back in early November, when Daughter was home from college on fall break, she was driving across an old Army Fort when she saw this little girl:

 
This sweet little thing had obviously been dumped by some asshole running around masquerading as a human.  She was skin and bones...but so FRIENDLY.
Daughter knew we were already way over quota on our pet count, but she also knew that she couldn't leave this girl out there like she was.  She figured we could find her a home...at least get her fed until we could maybe find a foster home or no-kill shelter.
She took a couple of pictures of her and posted them on Facebook and Twitter.
 
Before this puppy could even finish her bowl of dog food (and she was INHALING it), one of Daughter's friends was on her way over to adopt her.  She had taken one look at her and fell in love.
 
I ran into this friend in Target and asked how the puppy (now named Maggie) was doing.  Beaming, Daughter's friend answered, "She's PERFECT!! I love her so much!"  And the next day, she posted a picture and tagged me in it:
 
 
I can't tell you how much this lifted my heart.  I'd say it made my day...but truth be told, it made my month.  What an angel. Er...angels.




No comments:

Post a Comment