Monday, October 8, 2012

Pretty Fly for a White Girl

So, the other day, the child and I are out and about, goofing off…and something happens (don’t remember…it could have been anything) that causes Daughter to roll her eyes at me in a way indicating that I am perhaps the LAMEST person on the planet. To which I replied…”Nu-uh, honey…I am SO fly.”
She just looked at me and said, “You’re what?”
“I’m FLY.”
“Do you mean fie?  Because that’s what people say, Mom.  Not fly, fie.”
“No they don’t. The saying is “fly,” as in the Fly Girls.”
“Who?”
“The Fly Girls? From In Living Color? Jennifer Lopez?  J-Lo? You don’t know who the Fly Girls are?”
“Must’ve been some old show…”
I’m thinking that she is somehow tragically mistaken…like how she thought that her Papaw saying “10-4” as an affirmative was kind of code that the two of them had and was not known by the rest of the world.  So, I go to my old stand-by Urbandictionary.com.
And although “fly” is there as “cool, in style,” “fie” is also in there…apparently it is a shortened version of “fine.”
This public service announcement was brought to you by Mothers Who Are Old and Lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment