Friday, September 6, 2013

Totally slipped by me...

I was going back through some past posts looking for my explanation of Southern Ladies and their egg plates, when I realized that I never posted a picture of my latest egg plate acquisition:

The two bunnies are salt and pepper shakers and HOW FREAKING CONVENIENT IS THAT? An egg plate with salt and pepper shakers for the low, low price of $2??  I would have been insane to walk away from such functional artwork.  As you've probably guessed, this pastel treasure was purchased at a yard sale.
Jeff and I were out tooling around on a Saturday morning (kiddo was off somewhere) on a bright and sunny summer morning.  If you can count on anything in Alabama, it is the abundance of yard sales on Saturday mornings when the weather is nice.  We got out at this yard sale & I was immediately drawn to this egg plate (did I mention it still had it's original packaging??  Complete with styrofoam with niches for Mr. & Mrs. Bunny?)  It was marked $4.  And guys, $4 at a yard sale is some seriously expensive shit.  What was the dealio?  Had this egg plate once served deviled eggs at the White House annual egg roll or what?  $4 at a yard sale is freaking CRAZY TALK.  So we left the yard sale with me shooting covetous glances back over my shoulder.
We got back in the car and drove around aimlessly for awhile...went through the Jack's drivethru for a biscuit...

"Well, Annette would have just made fun of me anyway."
"Huh?"

"The egg plate.  She says I have too many egg plates.  I only have 3, and one of those is plastic. It's not like I'm hoarding egg plates or anything.  I'm not EGG PLATE OBSESSED, for heaven's sake?"

"You want to go back to that yard sale and buy the egg plate, don't you?"

"God, yes."

So we go back to the yard sale (it was actually a multi-family yard sale) to inquire who I needed to give the money to in order to take my find home with me.  I was directed to the lady in question, clutching my four Washington's...

"Well, my, my....if it isn't June's little girl."

I knew immediately that this was someone I was related to...because only my kin call my Dad "June." (My dad's name is Donald.  Most everyone calls him Don.  However, he was born a Junior, and while my PawPaw was alive, my PawPaw was Don and my dad was "June" short for "Junior.")

"Yes, ma'am?????" (Dammit, she is going to be on the phone in a hot minute when I leave telling the whole family I didn't remember her)  "I mean, YESS'M!!!  Why, I didn't see you sitting over there!  You must've been trying to stay in the shade and all!  How've you been??  And how's umm..."

"Deb and RickyJo???? Aw, Lawd, chile, we all need to get together and get to catching up!"

(RickyJo, RickyJo, RickyJo....I know this. I know this. I know this.)  AHA!

"Jeff!  I want you to come on over here and meet my Aunt Wannelle!  I TOLD you I recognized that egg plate...why...she must've had it over to Meemaw's every Easter." (This? Right here? Is a bald-faced lie. I am scrambling though because my Dad will never hear the end of it)

"Meet him? Why, I remember when he had that awful car accident...what was that? Late 80's, early 90's...?" (Okay, obviously I am a horrible, horrible person who doesn't remember Jack shit if it's been longer than 3 years) "You're wanting that ole egg plate?  Well, honey, I couldn't charge you anything a'tall for that...you just take that old thing."

I insisted that she take at least the $2 for it...and still felt bad about it afterwards.  As soon as I'm in the car, I'm dialing Dad, "Hey!  Ummm...how am I related to Aunt Wannelle?"

Turns out, I'm not except by marriage.  She was married to my great-uncle who actually passed away before I was even born.  Her kids are my second cousins, though they were a good 10-12 years older than me, so they didn't really have much to do with me during family events. I felt slightly less horrible that I didn't immediately recognize her....but now I DO feel like I can legitimately call this egg plate a FAMILY HEIRLOOM!  What do you think?

1 comment: